The 49-note Novation SL MkIII is an advanced MIDI and CV keyboard controller with an integrated 8-track sequencer, designed to be the centerpiece in any creative software- or hardware-based studio.
The professional-quality keyboard offers a synth-style semi-weighted keybed with a sprung action, which is tuned to the needs of the experienced player. Additionally, the keyboard offers aftertouch, which is freely assignable to anything. The remarkably high scan rate (10 kHz) gives the keys a super dynamic feel for expressive performances, while the interface provides visual feedback for scales, modes, and zones instantly with vibrant on-key RGB LEDs. The SL MkIII’s velocity-sensitive RGB pads offer polyphonic aftertouch and can be used for a variety of purposes including launching clips, inputting steps in the sequencer, or finger drumming performances.
The internal 8-track sequencer allows you to input notes step-by-step, or record as you go. Play and edit your sequences directly from the keyboard, then record parameter automation straight onto the sequencer, bringing your productions to life. You can choose an arpeggio type, set a sync rate, tweak note and pattern lengths, and use the pads to design your rhythms in real time.
With the latest firmware, the SL MkIII now features micro-step editing and unquantized recording. Micro-step editing allows users to position notes off the grid for subtle timing variations, while unquantized recording affords users to record off the grid. This means that the organic, human quality of performances and punched-in beats can be captured.
The SL MkIII provides deep integration with Ableton Live, allowing you to pull the sessions out of the box and into the hardware. The full-color LCD screens give you full visibility of your parameters, while the pads, buttons, eight faders, and eight knobs get you hands-on with your music. Additionally, the SL MkIII provides deep integrations with Logic and Reason, plus HUI compatibility with Cubase, Pro Tools, Studio One, Reaper, or any major DAW.
The rear panel offers a variety of connections including USB, standard MIDI in/out/out2-thru (5-pin DIN), and 1/4″ inputs for footswitch, expression, or sustain. Additionally, the SL MkIII provides connectivity for analog synthesizers and modular setups with two sets of CV, gate, and modulation outputs, plus a dedicated clock output for keeping your hardware and software in perfect sync. The Novation SL MkIII is powered by the included 12 VDC power adapter and ships with a premium braided USB cable and a software bundle license for Ableton Live Lite and Loopmasters sample content.
Novation’s latest firmware update (V1.4) addresses stability improvements and bug fixes, while delivering the most requested feature, Per-Part Arpeggiator, which allows for each of the eight parts to have individual and independent arpeggiators for building complex poly-rhythmic patterns.
Key New Features
Added 8 Independent Arpeggiators
- Arp and Step Probability
- Sequencer and Pattern Octave Transpose
- Internal eight-track pattern-based sequencer
- Record notes as you play them
- Input step-by-step
- Play and edit your sequences directly from the keyboard
- Record movements as automation into the sequencer
- Humanized Recording and Editing
- Micro-Step Editing: Allows users to position notes off the grid for subtle timing variations
- Unquantized Recording: Offers the ability to record in real-time into micro steps, providing organic, humanized performances and punched-in beats
- Comprehensive connectivity
- MIDI in, out, out 2 / thru
- Analog clock out
- 2 sets of CV pitch, gate, and mod outputs
- Arp type
- Sync rate
- Tweak the length
- Use pads to design rhythms in real time
- Scales, modes, and zones
- Work with scales and keys
- Set up multiple zones and layers on the keyboard
- Keys for the player
- Playable and expressive synth-style semi-weighted keybed
- Spring action and a high scan rate, all tuned to the needs of the experienced player
- Aftertouch is assignable to anything
- Customizable templates
- Highly customizable mappings for hardware and software for easy control
- Create your own templates in the software editor, and save them to the keyboard
- Ableton Live integration
- Five color LCD screens give you full parameter feedback, enabling you to see what you are controlling
- Control all major music software
- Use the pads, buttons, eight faders, and eight knobs to take control of all major music software using InControl or any HUI-compatible DAW
- Allows you to backup and restore your templates and sessions in the cloud, enabling access from anywhere in the world
- All content can also be saved locally
- Backlit pitch and modulation wheels
- Pitch and modulation wheels have RGB LEDs that change color to show what track you’re working on
- One routable clock for the whole system
- MIDI, analog clock, and transport controls keep everything running in time
- Selectable velocity curves
- Choose from a comprehensive selection of velocity curves to suit your playing style