Styled in a nickel finish, the Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone is the second, upgraded version of the mic that helped establish Warm Audio’s reputation in the pro-audio gear sphere.
rThe original Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone already brought the sound of a classic, vintage, and most importantly, expensive microphone to hard-working engineers on a budget.
The Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone upgrades many features to make it sound even better and even closer to the original. For instance, more top-shelf components are used throughout, such as an NOS Fairchild transistor.
A CineMag USA transformer, and film capacitors from Wima. Plus, it has switchable pad and high-pass filter settings for on-mic optimization of the signal.
You’ll note an increased output level over the original as well as an improved frequency response across its 20 Hz to 20 kHz range. The latter is made possible by a new, rounded head-basket shape.
which ensures the capsule has additional space in the housing, and accounts for the pleasing sonic signature, which is even closer to the sound of the original vintage mic.
This mic can be used to capture audio in many environments, such as recording studios, live stage, and theaters. It is suitable for all sorts of voice and instrument applications with its selectable omnidirectional, cardioid, and figure-8 polar patterns. The mic ships with a shockmount, a hard mount, and a wood box for storage.
New in the Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone;
- Rounded head-basket shape adds additional space around the capsule for a more pleasing sonic signature
- Microphone employs top-quality components like a NOS Fairchild transistor and high-bandwidth polystyrene and film capacitors from Wima
- Increased output level over previous version
- Improved frequency response over previous version
Premium Components Used Throughout
The Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone is based on a classic 60s circuit that is widely considered to be one of the greatest studio microphones ever designed.
Warm engineered the R2 to get even closer to the sound of the vintage version than the Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone.
In order to do this, the WA-87 R2 uses top-quality components like a NOS Fairchild transistor and high-bandwidth polystyrene and film capacitors from Wima.
The WA-87 R2 uses a custom-wound CineMag USA output transformer like the original WA-87 did, with the new version providing a slightly increased output level and improved frequency response.
Warm also employed the same capsule the WA-87 uses, which was designed to the exact specifications of the ones found in the vintage mics.
Great Look and Great Sound
Warm Audio WA-87 R2 Condenser Microphone Features at a Glance
- Large-diaphragm studio condenser microphone, with a faithful reproduction of the original vintage 87-style circuit
- All discrete premium components, including an NOS Fairchild transistor and Wima/Nichicon capacitors
- Custom CineMag USA output transformer
- WA-87-B-50V capsule; reproduction of classic dual backplate (four-wire termination) K87 capsule
- Nickel-plated brass body
- Cardioid, omnidirectional, and figure-8 polar patterns
- Switchable -10 dB pad and 80 Hz high-pass filter
- Diaphragm features 6-micron thickness, gold-sputtered membrane, and NOS Mylar (PET film)
- XLR 3-pin output connector
- Runs on 48V phantom power
- Includes shockmount, hard mount, and wood box